Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

BoG is Back! Long Live BoG!

Ed Cameron completed the latest modifications to Box o' Gun this week! He sandblasted the rust off my beautiful, but unfinished baby, cut cocking serrations on the forward slide, and installed a nice mainspring magazine well, blended expertly to the gun. Jon and I probably threw even more business Ed's way by talking to some shooters new to the 4th Sunday 3-Gun Game. Jon has a custom single-stack Les Baer Premier II which has felt Ed's magic touch, but it doesn't have the dark, fascinating history mines does.

Jon and I were also walking, talking Springfield Armory commercials. When we finished up early, I caught up with some regulars who were ogling my SOCOM-16 earlier and let them know I had a few magazines I was willing to let them unload through the muzzle. Jon offered up his full-size M1A for comparison and some Eugene Stoner acolytes may soon convert to an "elegant weapon of a more civilized age," if Santa Claus has anything to say about it.



Believe me, I am not a gun snob. There were lots of shooters new to the league's 3-Gun practice match and I almost hugged the guy who brought a Ruger Mini-14 (not pictured...this is a Maxi-14 :). I did squeak out a "Pity the Fool!" comment, but it was refreshing to see that not everybody is slavishly devoted to the AR format. Does that mean I'm going to leave my Bushie Shorty at home on 1st Sunday matches? Lot on your knife!

Today was young Piter's first 3-Gun match. He has done 1st Sunday matches with us before, but juggling multiple potentially loaded weapons on a hot range was a new challenge. Jon RO'd for him and gave him a stern critique for his habit of crossing himself with a loaded firearm on the draw; the evidence here will be retained for educational and rehabilitary counseling.

He actually horsed the big Para .45 around rather well and really impressed me with his mad REM870 skillz. Damn...if only I got to do this shit back when I was 17....

The Cactus League Course of Fire Committee accepted all of my Xmas Shooting Gallery stages I'd submitted last week. It was fun watching all the contortions at "Just Around the Corner." I might be sporting some bruises tomorrow for a sloppy body/stock weld today.








The Bag o' Rejected Toys was a heavy-duty bag filled with extension cord...very substantial! Jon puts on his combat face as he charges the table where his riotgun was staged. That half of the bay held the "stiffer" Texas Star of the two the league owns, and Jon was ready with high-brass #5s with which to engage it (last match, it totally kicked his ass). I had no trouble with low-brass #6s, but I aim.

A good time was had by all! Now for January...

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said…

    The 45 is reeeeeal purty!
    Looks like a good time was had by all!

    Yeah, I'm jealous; it's 5F degrees here right now.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger prairie biker said…

    Awwwwww man! The mini-14 is good (albeit slow) if you replace the barrel.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting how "Box-o-gun" can have different meanings for different people...

    In my case it's a Romanian AK-47 clone (semi-auto, natch) parts kit and compliance kit, waiting for me to grind off some rivets, get a receiver, and put it back together again...

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Put another 75 rounds through the 1911 today.......life is good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004