Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Five Favorite Aircraft - My Pretty Ones

My final list: pure aesthetics:

5. The A-5 Vigilante was designed to poop a nuke out the rear as it streaked over Bad Guy Land. Only in America! You'd think the Germans would have thought of this. "Esse meine nuklear scheisse!" "Okay!"

Danke, Frau Kartmann.








#4. B-70 Valkyrie - The Soviets built the MiG-25 FOXBAT because they were scared witless over this experimental bomber. They must have realized it was too beautiful not to produce in quantity. They were wrong about many things.






#3. The Lockheed P-38L Lightning started my love affair with Kelly Johnson's Skunk Works products. The Lightning has to share a spot with the F-104 "Starfighter" which actually looks more modern than anything built today.












#2. P-51D Mustang - Cadillac of the Skies!

This baby's lines make me think of a Spitfire made by Volvo. With fuel tanks made of Win!










#1. Supermarine Spitfire (various marks):
What kind of engineer could produce wings like that and not be a poet?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Rodney Dill said…

    We have a B-17 that I've seen flying overhead a couple of times over the last few years that comes out of the Yankee Air Museum. From the website it looks like they also have a B-25, but I haven't seen it yet. Haven't been too tempted to cough up the $400 for a ride though.

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger gregor said…

    just saw this on the Fox News site -
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311724,00.html

    oh, and my wet dream of an aircraft is the Hawker Hurricane. don't know why, they just turn me on.

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Cool find!

    I always thought the Hurri was the Spit's stockier older sister. The DeHaviland Mosquito, OTOH, is on my Honorable Mention list.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004