Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Disappointing

But still the second best shot group in the class! I completed Arizona's Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Renewal class this morning...the last time I'll ever have to take the class or get fingerprinted for an AZ CCW again! I brought the Glock 23 because it's one of my primary carry guns, plus Lisa the Biker Chick was packing her brand new G23. I think the loose grouping was mostly due to me shooting on an empty stomach, while fighting some nervous nausea. Lisa's first shot was to the head...not a scoring hit! She recovered well enough to pass, though.


We also attended the basic class four years ago after both of our permits had expired past the grace period. I dug my Glock 19 out of the bottom of the Tupperware stack because Lisa was shooting her Glock 19. As you can see, my shots were a mite tighter back then.




Lisa the Biker Chick, Ambassador for Arizona Open Carry.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger azlibertarian said…

    I'm a bit conflicted over the CCW shooting requirements.

    One part of me says that government shouldn't ever be able to tell me whether or under what circumstances I can carry the means to self-defense.

    The other part of me tells me that the standards that they do come up with are very low. It looks like you shot, what, 10 rounds or so? My CCW is good through the end of the year, but is that all it takes to renew this thing?

    My point here being: I think that many CCW holders rarely, if ever, shoot. They run through maybe three boxes of ammo a year while standing square in front of an indoor target and call themselves proficient. That ain't nearly enough.

    FWIW, I sometimes use a SOB holster for Mrs. Azlib's Walther PPK. I like it, but have heard that if you ever end up in a wrasslin' match with someone, you run the risk of pelvis damage. It was something I hadn't thought about when I bought it. I put up a range report recently on this PPK over at my place. [And yeah, I know all about the substandard ballistics of the .380. I bought it because it's a nice gun that fits her hand. I use it when I really want to be discreet.]

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    This is the last time *anyone* will have to take the renewal course, pay extra again for fingerprints, and shoot the 10 bullets. After that, every five years you just mail in a renewal application.

    I have no beef with the shooting requirement; two of the several senior citizens in the class received some remedial instruction after splashing too many outside the scoring zone. I can empathize with how hard it must be to shoot regularly on a low, fixed income...I do it because I have next to no social life and would rather be shooting than almost anything else. I hope the range will offer Seniors Only Night to encourage these people to trot out the carry pieces after the range requirement for renewal goes away.

    This range will still offer classes in the changes to gun laws (the class content of the renewal course they teach) for those that want it. This is a good idea--add that to Geriatric Gunner Night and they might have a real moneymaker!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You probably don't have the ice and slippage risk in AZ that we do in MN but SOB carry places a hunk of unyielding metal over your spine in an area that can take serious damage in a fall. Imagine slipping on the stairs and landing on your gun. OUCH just begins to describe it.

     
  • At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cases of individuals who were carrying SOB and fell backward, and ended up paralised from the waist down have been documented. It should be a consideration when deciding to use this type of holster. I would move the weapon toward the strong side enough to clear the spine. Besides, its not that comfortable while driving if your carry piece is a full size weapon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004