Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

An Adventure in Home Defense

Got this from an aircrew buddy living here in the Ole Pueblo:

I was lying in bed the other night at 1:00 AM. I heard the doorbell and found it odd that somebody would be ringing the bell at that time. There are very few people that know where I live and the ones who do would never show up at 1:00 in the morning ringing the bell. I figured that I was hearing things or they would just go away. Then the pounding on the door started. I decided to get out of bed and get dressed and go take a look.

Before walking out of the room I decided it might not be a bad idea to take my Glock 23 out of the nightstand. Heading for the door I hear the bell ring again and then being followed by more pounding. Looking out the peep hole in the door all I could see was shapes on the porch and the outline of a car in the street with the tail lights still on. I walked back to the center of the house and heard a sound like somebody was trying to open the metal gate to my backyard while the knocking and ringing continued. I decided that I had had enough fun with the situation so I went back into the bedroom to get the extra magazine I keep in the nightstand (a retired cop friend always told me that you can't call timeout during a gun fight to go get extra rounds). I looked between the blinds and the sliding back door to see if I could see anybody in the backyard. Not seeing anybody in the backyard I decided it was time for me to go out and take a look.

I set the house alarm to "instant" at night so I knew as soon as I opened the backdoor I would trip the alarm system. I figured loud noises at 1:00 AM would work to my advantage. I cracked the door, the siren started screeching and I went out on the back patio. I used the wall for cover as I checked the north side of the yard. With the north side being clear I checked south. South was clear also. I decided the south direction would get me to front quicker than going north. As I went around the corner of the house and approached the 5 foot brick wall that is my fence I decided I would announce my presence before going up and over the wall. Before I jumped on the wall I yelled, "I am coming over the wall, I have a GLOCK, and it is fully loaded. I went over the wall and took for the 5-6 remaining strides to get to the front yard. I made it to the front yard just in time to see the little compact car going down the street in a hurry.

I'm not sure what scared these people away, the alarm or the crazed man jumping a wall while announcing his side arm of choice. Whichever one it was I was just glad that they decided to depart the area before things got interesting. I brought plenty of toys to the potential fight (13 rounds in the weapon and 13 more in my back pocket) but I suppose it was better they left instead of having the shootout in my front yard. The funny part to this is that I was relaying this story to my friend at work and his only comment was, "What, you didn't take advantage of the moving target practice?"

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I have a GLOCK and its fully loaded".... Somebody has been watching too much TV and needs to get some training!

     
  • At 2:49 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I've had a private exchange with him and he admits what he did wasn't the smart thing to do. Hopefully, the pending AZ CCW course will instill some caution into his next encounter. We can all take a lesson from this, which is why I asked him for his story. What he did was admittedly impulsive, but how many of us can overcome our impulses without having trained our reactions?

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger El Capitan said…

    Probably just some nocturnal OCD Jehovah's Witnesses. They have a copy of the Watchtower to give to you, and they're gonna give it to you NOW!!

     
  • At 1:59 AM, Blogger Joanie said…

    I'm glad you didn't have to actually fire. But still, the temerity of some people! I bet they don't come back

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger cmblake6 said…

    Actually, it could have been your effort towards Darwinian cleansing of the gene pool. That sucker needs to be chlorinated!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004