Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tactical Shootin at the Pima PC

Kelly and Jake put on a fine four-stage gauntlet of gunly goodness for us at the remote Catalina range. Fifteen carbine combat connoisseurs (16 if you count match director Kelly, who was too wired into his duties to shoot) dug into the courses of fire. Kelly RO'd my squad... I was much relieved to just be a shooter/helper for once.

Our first stage was a "blind" stage and most shooters eschewed the offered "cover" for the opportunity to shoot on the move, a very challenging skill set.

Our second stage brought us to the long lane stage, which sadist Jake turned *gasp* into *wheeze* an assault *cough* stage *puff*. As the first shooter, I right away dropped the leftmost of the steel silhouettes (that's not supposed to happen)... I didn't even know it was gone, since it was almost invisible in the shadow. Thankfully, Kelly told me to keep going. Rather than kill all my bandwidth, instead of posting my long-ass performance, here's young Kalani burning up the stage.

Our third stage was a very challenging half-moon stage which was a fun variation (and improvement!) on a stage I did for January. I decided to take advantage of my Reflex optics and try to shoot on the move. Unfortunately, all my rules lawyering couldn't make up for my missing the two bonus steel pistol shots at the end (not filmed, two long-range steel hits could recoup 20 seconds from stage time).

Our fourth stage was the only one that required us to unlimber the pistol for sure. Rifle magazines were limited to 15 rounds, so those of us math-challenged folks felt the pain of not planning ahead. I was a bit *ooh surprised!* that the Glock 23 recoiled a tad more than the Glock 19. What a sad state of affairs -- I started playing IPSC with my G23! For some reason, my tactically addled brain decided I must defend myself one-handed against the first two targets. (I think my other hand was worried about the slung Bushy shifting around.) Yes, I did shade myself in cover... just not up-close.

I finished right in the middle of the pack (penalties killed me, not my stage times); not bad for a fat old guy!

Here's a Match Video for ya.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow! Those were challenging stages!
    I wish the stage incorporated more pitol.
    Daisycat

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Hey, we missed y'all! Sorry to hear about your car trouble. I didn't hear anybody complain about the lack of pistol-shootin', but some were vocally disappointed you didn't make it to the match.

    I did mention I was glad I didn't clean my pistol for this match. :)

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, we did miss you at the match Melinda! We hope you can make it next month.

    Bob, your transition from rifle to pistol in Stage 2 was slick as snot but the one handed shooting definately cost you some points. I wish I had been shooting as I think I would have out shot you that day! *poke-poke* Seriously, though, it seemed like you were a little off your game for once. What loads are using in that G23 anyways?

    Hope to see you both next month!

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    [Words not matching the mouth] Surely, you do not challenge me in my own *uh, I mean* in your own dojo *I mean* We bring the fight on now!

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    As for the G23, they were Miwall reloads from at least a year past. I'd shoot my G19, but none of my mags are Ax-legal. Gotta dig up a 15-rounder for this game....

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks all. It's nice to be missed. I'm planning on being there for the three gun on the 30th.
    Daisycat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004