Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Back on the Range

After over a month of no competitive shooting, Jon and I jumped back into the groove at the monthly Cactus League USPSA match at Ben Avery. I actually shook off the rust faster than Jon on the first stage; I'd shot my P16 all last year while Jon switched to his Glock 34 this time. The rest of my match went downhill as the Para seemed to have developed a disliking for the Ultramax reloads I was trying. Cactus squeezed in six pistol stages into the match, so I was actually relieved to quit the jam-clearing drills and switch to long guns. The riotgun stage required a lot of running for only 10 steel targets; rifle had lots of movement, 14 head-shots and six 75-yard steel. I'll be amazed if Jon doesn't top both categories...I should be in the middle of the pack. We didn't have a high turnout of long-gunners (some shooters were new to 1st Sunday Matches and were surprised that rifle/shotgun was included in the match).

Oh, yeah, the weather was beautiful! Sunny and windy. I was comfortable in a long-sleeved shirt once the match got started. Sorta like Phoenix in January, or what the folks back East are feeling now that the polar icecaps are melting, leaving penguins and polar bears homeless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004