Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Other Black Rifle (A Bushie Commercial)


With all that SOCOM-16 blogging I've been doing, you'd think that was only rifle I compete with. Not so! In fact, my old workhorse Bushmaster Shorty (XM17E2) has been with me at every 3-Gun match and most Cactus matches I've attended. It's light, short, fast! and has held up under the thousands of rounds I've put through it. Ya know, if it wasn't a .223 poodle-shooter, I'd go to war with this weapon! Well...since Cactus monthlies usually require us to triple-tap everything (to bring the round count up), it and I might be ready for war yet. If I had run into a 16-inch Bushie .308 before I found the SOCOM-16, I probably would have bought it instead.

The sight is a zero-power Trijicon Reflex II with an amber triangle reticle. Mounted where it is, you can use the iron sights through it. In fact, you don't even need to range sight the scope as long as your iron sights are accurate; just adjust the reticle to superimpose over the front sight when viewed through the rear sight. I'll stay with this configuration for as long as my eyes remain young.

I'll keep the Redi-Mag attached unless somehow I get a few C-Mags for Christmas (not holding my breath on that one). I think I've got enough ammo stored up to shoot the Bushie on First Sundays and the SOCOM on 4th Sundays for the rest of the year. Maybe it's ammo I need for Christmas.

Update: Some of my readers had things to say about the loudness of the AK muzzle brake employed by the Bushie. The ear assault by the AK brake is nothing compared to the teeth-rattling concussion of the JP brake at the left. I've seen this on many of the space-guns brought by upper-tier shooters, so I know it must be effective.

Submitted to the Carnival of Cordite.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    Do you have any idea of how loud that AK break is when you're clearing rooms?? ;)

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Very nice. My Bushie was originally configured the same way. I swapped uppers w/ Catfish, and now it's got a Colt A3 upper w/ the M4 barrel (w/ the vortex flash hider!) to boot. Pretty darned stable platform, and utterly reliable.

    And Catfood's right - that damned AK brake is LOUD. First time I shot it was at an indoor range, w/ electronic ears. My ears were still ringing 4 hours later. Owie.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Ya know, it's loud, but I've encountered so many others that are louder that I don't mind.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger catfish said…

    That JP break is nasty loud! But they work pretty damn well, granted. ;)

    Almost as loud as a buddy's SV open gun at a stage where we had to engage targets by shooting through a typical range barrel.

    THAT was loud.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger catfish said…

    PS
    not only is the AK break loud, but if you're next to it when the shootin's going on, it'll make you think someone's slapping you in the arm.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004