Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Tucson GunBloggers Rock! And Roll!



Met up with Kevin at the TRC range office and headed out to the Department of Public Safety range. We were both packing single-stack .45s and brought a major and minor caliber battle rifle each. I decided against bench firing the M1A and just zeroed it from the prone position. The Chinese Norinco and Argentinian surplus ammo performed about the same, but the cheap-o magazines from Sportsmens Guide sucked deeply. Only one would function throughout a magazineful of ammo. Buy Real Mil-Spec!

Our ARs definitely reflected our different shooting backgrounds...his Bushmaster was scoped and bipod-clad and shot heavy handloaded bullets. I had just added a Reflex optic to my own HBAR (and didn't get the zero quite right) and shot 62 grain Wolf ammo (because my Bushie Shorty doesn't like it). He got great groups and rang the steel with regularity while I shot faster and was happy to score in the black.



Check out the beautiful wood on his CMP Garand! It didn't come that way, Kevin said.

Also check out the canteen...can you see the ferret teeth marks on the collapsible canteen? I didn't this morning (I filled it with the cover on and soaked the cover for cooling). Didn't discover it until I was unloading wet guncases! Little rat bastards!

I didn't shoot .45 much because I was starting to get dehydrated from unconsciously rationing my water. Kevin seemed disgusted with his malfunctions (although it shot great when it fired). He should get into IPSC once he gets it tuned right; he can really shoot!



Finally, the guns for fun. Kevin showed off his beautiful tricked out Ruger 10/22. He had his own magazine problems, it seemed. :(



I peeled the storage wrapping from four 25-round Uzi mags with some apprehension. My subgun had been balky since I bought it, but I didn't know if it was ammo or the magazines that came with it. It seemed to like Wolf ammo best (good! It's cheap!), so I loaded up a new magazine and held my breath. Rat-a-tat! It worked! In four mags, we had two first-time duds, but no jams as with the other mags. Hmmm...I might have to do Subgun at Cactus again!

Kevin seemed to enjoy doing some rock'n'roll himself. After we diligently policed up a ton of brass (and steel) and put away the target stands, we ended the day with a handshake and a promise to try this again some day.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    I had a good time, but DAMN it got hot fast.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Benjamin said…

    Blob,

    Steer clear of ANY magazines from Sportsman's Guide. All of the magazines I have seen from them suck. I've got 2 AR mags sitting in a drawer. One won't engage the magazine catch and the other one is impossible to get out once it's in.

    Good to see local bloggers hooking up to shoot.

    Regards,

    Benjamin

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger carnaby said…

    Two questions:

    1. where does that drawing of the soft skinned comrade looking female with the large bosoms come from?

    2. Why does the magwell of that AR15 look like a vacuum intake from some sort of star wars infrastructure?

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Carnaby: if you mean the luscious anime ladies on my sidebar, there's a link somewhere in my archives to the original Japanese site. I'll look for it later, but right now, I'm short on sleep and long on fruity rum drinks.

    The magwell on my Colt HBAR was a door prize at a Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun match a couple of years ago. It's made by Arredondo and sucks up standard AR mags like a vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately, it won't take my Thermold magazines, but I have enough oldies to compete if needed.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger Firehand said…

    So the little buggers were gnawing on the goods, huh?

    My kid's ferrets learned to work zippers, do yours do that? Yet?

    Sounds like fun, but not at that temp!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man... I wanna go next time.

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Well if you live in Tucson, drop either of us a line. We're not snobs!

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Although I'm socially inept, so you might get that impression!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004