Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

A Little Tech Help, Please

I test-fired my Remington 870 a couple of weeks ago by shooting a half dozen heavy slugs. No problem. At the match today, I brought it and a box of Winchester-X shells that my Rem. 1100 autoloader won't cycle. (My friend's Benelli doesn't like them either.) Anyway, after four shots, the action decided to freeze closed and required a great deal of effort to rack open. This occurred several times during the stage and, needless to say, I scored a miserable time. What I'm asking is, does this problem ring a bell with any of you readers? How do you remove the action work from an 870? Sure, I could find this out using Google and a gunsmith, but why don't we let this Blogosphere thing go to work on it for a bit? Any He-Man Pumpgun Gurus out there?

3 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just pulled out my 870, and checked it out.

    You need to make sure your chamber is long enough, first of all. If you're shooting 3" shells in a 2.75" chamber, that will lock it up sure. Aside from that, the 870 is, frankly, bulletproof. Sometimes it's just a particular type of ammo it doesn't like, but frankly, I've shot tons through my 870 with no trouble, maybe it's just a fluke.

    As for takedown, get the Gun Digest book, it's worth the money, every time.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    FWIW, it's a brand new barrel, smoothbore with rifle sites mounted on an older 870 body. The barrel accepts 2 3/4 and 3-inch shells (so did the old one).

    One thing I need to do is run some Federal shells through it to see if it's not just a case of the Winchester Super-X shells being Remington Kryptonite.

     
  • At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Remington 700 Shooter said…

    I've heard about problems with cheap Winchester ammunition and Remington 870 shotgun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004