Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Fiction from Right Thinking Girl

Heaven: A Roadmap

Death was a wake up call for me. I had never given much thought to the meaning of my life or what happened afterward until that night in September when one minute I was alive and the next I was lying on the floor of a Starbucks in downtown Washington DC with a bullet in my head. I was only aware of a searing, savage heat, the sensation of my head actually opening like a cantaloupe, and gravity, which exerted its authority over me so quickly that even before I was aware that my brain was spilling out of the cradle of my head, I was aware that I was falling. There was pure white light, a lot of it, because the neurons in what remained of my brain were misfiring. When people ask me now what death was like, I always say it was a "splitting." There was my physical brain trying to comprehend what was happening and my heart still gamely pumping blood. Then there was my soul, which was literally already gone. It was there - around, I guess you could say- because I still recall looking down at myself, at this destroyed girl with a quarter of her head missing, and thinking that something truly profound was happening to me.

Read the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004