Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Redheaded Stepchild of the Gun Safe: Daewoo DP-51

Bought as a companion piece to my Daewoo K1A1, the DP-51 was also an improvement over my Browning High-Power, whose itty-bitty safety was kinda difficult to manipulate in a hurry. It has the same 13+1 capacity that I might eventually use whenever I finally got around to trying IPSC. It even had a neat feature whereby you could rack a round into the chamber, then push the hammer forward, creating a condition almost cocked-and-locked which was better than the long, double-action trigger pull.

Well, the Daewoo didn't catch on in America, so finding a third and fourth magazine kinda necessary in playing gun games was next to impossible. T'was okay, because I hadn't found anyone to mentor me into practical shooting yet either so onto the stack it went. It was the first gun I ever openly packed in Arizona when I flew down for a visit and a camping trip with Jon. It rode in a nylon Uncle Mike's holster. I didn't know any better, but I learned a lot about steel and leather and polymer and freedom on this trip. This was also when I first got inspired to build BoG (Box o' Gun...see my archives). Unfortunately, I hadn't learned to stop buying bastard stepchildren yet.

Update: Note that all my Stepchildren came into the family before I started IPSC shooting. Now that I've been enjoying the sport since 1997, I've gathered around me Dear Devoted Children of the Revolver, Limited, and Limited 10 variety. I have no burning desire to get into Unlimited Race-Gun world...I like to wear foamies or ear muffs, not both. I might change my mind once my eye sight starts to fail and I eventually wipe the layers of dust off the Dillon Press.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Jerry The Geek said…

    Come to Oregon, we'll get you started in IPSC.

    Leave the KoreanKrap at home. Better yet, use it for a target. Or a doorstop. Or trade it for a decent [yech!] revolver.

    We'll let you shoot a couple dozen STI's. You'll be astounded, spend your pension fund on hardware, trade in your ferrets for .38 super brass, forget about ever getting married, give up your career in showbiz, won't want to do anything except compete in IPSC matches and spend your spare time loading ammo so you can compete in IPSC matches.

    You'll be as bad off as I am.

    But happy.

    Daewoo? Geez, Dude, if you can't get a Life, at least get a S&W *59.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger BULLSEYE said…

    Daewoo, name rings a bell. Don't they make outboard motors, or TV's, or something else?

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Yup, and compact cars, refrigerators, and cargo ships.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Cutter said…

    And electronics and textiles and machining tools and mining and steel production and oil & gas exploration and chemicals and just about every other goddamn thing you can think of. Daewoo is a friggin’ monster company.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cbob, daewoo dp-51s use the same magazine as all S&W 59 series. You can get good 15, 20 & 30 round S&W 59 mag cheaps anywhere.

    I keep a DP-51 & a Marlin Camp 9 w/ a folding stock in my trunk. They both use the same S&W 59 series mags.

    I have several 15, 20 & 30 round mags loaded in the small gun case with the two guns.

    If I have to shoot less than 20 yards, I will use the DP-51. If I have to shoot more than 20 yards I use the Marlin. If I have to shoot more than 100 yards, I'm screwed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004