Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, September 05, 2005

SHTF Gun

What firearm do I want on hand when the poo hits the ventilator? If I was going to war, I'd certainly want one of my black rifles...lotsa firepower, even though some are poodle-shooters. But if I was somehow plopped down into a disaster area a la a flooded New Orleans, I'd want whatever handgun I was packing concealed (La. has reciprocity with Arizona) and the rifle pictured above. My concealed piece would remain concealed and the Winchester would remain out of sight until trouble erupts. Why the Winchester over a battle rifle? The lever gun is friendlier-looking than an evil black rifle; in a civil disaster, I don't want to look like a militia yahoo to the authorities or my fellow civilians. To someone threatening violence, the great big .44 inch muzzle ought to be threatening enough. Is it any less capable than my Bushmaster? Well, when it's loaded with 300-grain semi-jacketed shallow hollow-point bullets atop a rifle-only .44 magnum load, I don't feel compelled to double-tap goblins as I would with .223s (heck, .44 is a double-tap of .22). The lever action gives me a quick second shot if the goblin is still a threat or if his buddies aren't beating feet after the first shot.

This gun does have some limitations; I wouldn't want to get into a firefight with an AK or AR-wielding goblin, but if I ever encounter goblins who know anything about volume of fire, I hope the good people in the National Guard gravitate to the sound and save my ass. Localized disaster planning includes plotting escape routes, too.

Oh, you wonder "Why not a 12 gauge pump shotgun?" Weight of ammo and effective range. A box of 25 shotgun shells is slightly larger than a 50-pack of .44 Magnums, and the weight is a wash. At point-blank range, they're both lethal, but beyond 50 yards, the shotgun drops off to almost useless. I don't know how far I can bloop a .44, but I'm sure I can hit things at 100 yards, at least.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Firehand said…

    One of the things I mentioned, was cowboy rifles don't seem to spook GFWs and cops the way an AK or something similar does.

    And for running off looters at city ranges? I'd have no worries about your choice.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    I think your choice would also be a lot more damaging to the morale of a group of punks, if they happened to witness one of their number get a big chunk of himself blown clean off.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said…

    I agree with the lever action; I have one in 45-70, just because I love that caliber.
    Also, the 30-30 have very similar ballistics to the .30 Russian, and there are lots of 30-30s around, which means lots of ammo...

    Happy hunting,

    the CPL

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Countertop said…

    As I posted, our bug out supplies include both a 12 gage and my Marlin 336 in .30-30 - for much the same reasons you have chosen the Winchester in .44 Mag (except of course, any Marlin is an infinitely superior firearm)

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a VERY smart idea.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004