Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Pilot, Dragonlady Lost in SW Asia



The US Air Force lost a U-2 Dragonlady (I refuse to call it a "spy plane") returning from a mission supporting Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. The pilot was killed and interim investigation begun, but we can't expect many more details because of the classified mission involved.

Besides EC-130 drivers, I've had the most professional contact with U-2 pilots over my military career. These guys are a different breed from the average fighter jock; they fly long, extremely high-altitude missions under difficult physiological conditions, most often along the periphery of hostile airspace. Their working conditions are closer to that of an astronaut (save the G-Forces) than an airplane pilot. That proximity to hostile airspace means they're often the focus of air defense assets who'd only be too happy to shoot him down for overflying their territory.

Direct your thoughts and prayers to the family of this as-yet-unnamed lost American hero. My retirement flag flew aboard a U-2 during an operational mission; I'm also going to pray for the pilot named on the certificate that at least he may have been spared. There's not much else I can do.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sad news, indeed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004