Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Meet Maya PC

When I found out that Autodesk didn't produce a Maya (3D Animation) 2012 version for the Mac OS, I was in a quandary. I knew it wouldn't run well on my ancient Dell PC (left) which still has WinXP loaded and only a coupla GB of RAM. Some suggested I put Windows 7 on my trusty iMac through Boot Camp, but that would mean a partition that would hamper the rendering power of Final Cut Pro and my Adobe CS5 Production software. When I priced software at the Base Exchange, I learned I could get a new Dell PC with 6GB RAM for only $300 more than the cost of Windows 7 Professional (the only package that didn't upgrade from Windows Vista, which I don't have. Well that was a no-brainer! Now my only hope is that the graphics card and such will meet the requirements to run Maya well (the box wasn't very clear on the alphabet soup that Maya needs).

On the bright side, with the new PC's 1TB hard drive, I can still load some of the PC games with which the old Dell struggled and still have rendering power for Autodesk Maya. Not that I'll have a lot of time to play Call of Duty or Steel Panthers with all the course work I have this semester.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Anonymous lil bro said…

    pretty!

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Sigivald said…

    If the iMac is powerful, you could just run Windows in a virtual machine, without any partitioning...

    But it's a bit late now, I suppose.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004