Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Five Favorite Aircraft

Ahab's idea. I can't have just one list! My first list: airframes I was closest to personally and professionally.

5. Boeing B52 "Stratofortress" was Dad's airplane, the noisy hulking beast whose fuel systems kept him employed, but cranky.

4. Boeing 707 was the basis for AWACS, RC-135, KC-135, JSTARS.
Joe Patroni: Who do ya think you're talking to, some kid that fixes bicycles? I know every inch of the 707! Take the wings off this and you could use it as a TANK! This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
3. Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird" not only killed 'em with Kodak, it's classified AOTFP Orbit keep the rest of us intel guys occupied with a bountiful take after it agitated the bad guys' air defenses. There'll never be anything like it again... until we decide otherwise.

2. Lockheed U-2/TR-1 "Dragon Lady" The U-2 was the finger hovering over the enemy's eyeball as we chanted a sing-song "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!...."

1. Lockheed C-130 "Hercules" can do gunship, airdrop, ass-and-trash-hauling, electronic combat, tanker duty, intelligence collection, special ops support... the veritable 12 Labors of Hercules!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I gotta put the B-52 as #1. I was lucky enough to be stationed at a base with the last D-model "tall tail" wing. Seeing the history in the wrinkled-skinned, grand ladies and imagining the 1000's of VC running through the jungle in shear terror after the big belly let loose. You can't sprint with a full load of bricks in their diapers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004