Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Not a POF-USA Commercial

I don't really know what POF-USA did with my gas piston upper when I sent it back. There are lots of tales on ARFCOM about the company getting some out-of-spec barrels. I guess test firing their product (and cleaning it) would slow down an already snail-like manufacturing/shipping process.

[Update: Never mind about the ARFCOM link...apparently, negative posts disappear somehow.]

Think I've figured out what happened to it last weekend...it was dirty! Yup, if you think GPUs are God's gift to ARs because you don't need to clean them so often, you'd be mistaken. Sure, my bolt carrier is still clean and shiny, and only the bolt face and lugs show any sign of carbon gunk, but after four magazines of dirty Wolf .223 ammo, the op rod was coated with nasty blackness and the piston and plug-thingy (I hope I'm not getting too technical for ya) needed a chemical and bronze-brush scrubbing to remove the residue I suspect had put a hitch in BoG2's cycling Sunday. Well, at least I know it'll go four mags between cleanings...heaven help me at a five-stage ACTS match. The innards shown have experienced one 30-round magazine worth of test-firing. Wolf .223 is too economical for me to give up, so it looks like I'll have to keep some cleaning stuff in my match range bag.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you post on the main board or the POF section?

    The POF folks probably moderate that section. I would suggest reposting your real world results in the general section and let the fur fly. Be sure to mention the post that got deleted.

     
  • At 1:22 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    POF section. Actually, my own posts are still there...but they haven't been that negative -- yet.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Check around an army surplus store for some LSA. It keeps that carbon stuff nice and loose, and easy to remove. Uncle Sam developed it to help with the same problem in M-16s. Works good on Mini-14's too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004