Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Post for Daisy Cat

One of the neat little info bits Jon brought back from the Gunsite Carbine Course (he brought a lot back, but he only shares a little with me, fearing I'll get better than he is) is the elbow tuck stance, useful for keeping your carbine on close -to- medium targets while moving. I didn't remember to do it on that Stage One Run 'n' Gun, but here's a few pics of the Master at work.

It's not as steady for long range stuff.





Give it a try before you spend the money on a vertical foregrip. I don't know if a cheekpiece would do much for you, since the AR is a very forgiving platform. Which one do you intend to buy? Some are good because they raise your face to the level of mounted optics, but since you shoot with iron sights....

Get ready for lots of advice! Make sure you try stuff out on the range to see what works for you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Daisycat said…

    BLob,
    I'll take all the advice I can get.
    It's remembering to use it under pressure is the hard part. That course sounds really informative. I bet it wasn't cheap to attend. Too bad Jon doesn't live a little closer to shoot a Pima more. He is a very good instructor.

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger Desert Cat said…

    That left elbow tuck and close grip back on the mag is something her original rifle instructor taught. I know it has been slipping since then, so the reminder is much appreciated.

    I ditched the front vertical grip on my AK for the same reason--to try to get into the habit of gripping up tight against the mag.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Actually, he attended the course courtesy of Gunsite as a returning Gulf War vet (except for ammo and lodging).

    The close grip is great for close-range stuff...for long-range, you should clamp down on whatever cover you have for stability.

    I'd like to think that *I'm* a good instructor, but I'm merely basking in Jon's brilliance. :)

    Actually, in my previous careers, I was a great instructor, but you're probably not interested in cryptolinguistics or using healthcare IT software.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004