Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I Stand Corrected

Somebody does market a .410 as a home defense shotgun! I guess that midget home-invader menace is more serious than I thought.

Update: Okay folks, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. A .410 might be power enough for home defense, but I believe that there is no such thing as overkill in self-defense. I'd never pack a .44 Magnum as a concealed carry weapon (unless I had another good reason to wear a .44 , like hiking in bear country) but I'm an avid believer in packing the mostest for home defense. If it makes you feel safe, fine. But until you post your story of pounding a goblin into submission with a .410 stoked with 00 buck, I'll trust beefier firearms for the protection of me and mine.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Use the .410 in case the intruder gets past the attack chihuahua.

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I never said the .410 wasn't deadly. A .22 is deadly. A .25 ACP is deadly if I poke you in the solar plexus with it and pull the trigger.

    My friend's Dad has one of those derringers. Got to fire the 000 buckshot load. Quite cool. But I'd rather have something bigger...and definitely not birdshot.

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My wife has a Mossberg .410 for home. 3 rounds of 00 buck and 2 rounds of .410 slugs. At 15 feet - Couch to front door or 10 feet from bedside to bedroom door I think it will work just fine.

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    Buckshot or slugs might be okay, but I wouldn't rely on birdshot in a .410 unless there was nothing else available.

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Serr8d said…

    From here:
    "In any case, a diminutive .410 bore, 1/2 oz. rifled slug zinging out at 1,830 fps is a respectable load. The .410 slug doesn't really qualify as a deer load, although it's sometimes used for such, but it certainly has a proven track record on large varmints."

    That's what I'd call a 'back-door' gun. For standard front entry types, give me the any one on the far left...

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm ... how about a full auto Saiga AK in .410?

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said…

    So you hit your assailant with 3 .36 cal lead balls at 1600fps instead of 8-10 of them.

    You've effectively done just as well as shooting them three times with 9mm ball and getting a one or two inch group.

    And then you do it again!

    .410 is plenty effective. Put it out of your mind that it's less "powerful" than 12ga, it's just fewer balls of the same strength.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004