Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Last Battlefield

As Dave of Garfield Ridge points out, this weekend is the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. The southern PA battlefield is the only one I've ever gone out of my way to visit. The place is well worth many more visits to see the museums, monuments, and the history-soaked grounds of Little Round Top.

It wasn't until I'd already had several tours to Korea under my belt before I discovered I had actually worked at a historic battleground! "Hill 180" was more than just a taxicab destination (when you didn't want to disclose whether you worked at HTACC or the KCOIC), the hill was also the site of the last bayonet charge in US Military history!

It's amazing how all the mismanagement and leadership trainwrecks I've seen on that hill were preceded by Captain Millet's example, he who couldn't even manage his infantry unit's ammunition supply right, requiring his men to march up a hill with knives stuck on the end of their empty guns.

I'm kidding, of course, but you gotta wonder how the miltary-hating media would spin Captain Millet's feat today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004