Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Forced Entry?

That's strange...I'd just opened up a half dozen blogs in Firefox tabs as part of my daily surf through the 'sphere when the one I'd been reading froze up and all the ones in the other tabs showed the new Firefox "!" caution icon and displayed "cannot find the server." I've experienced this before, usually when I've had the computer running for several days without shutting down or restarting, so I rebooted. At that moment, my phone rang and who should be on the other end but my phone provider asking to do an account survey (and the accompanying sales pitch to sign me up for new services)?!? That got me wondering...were they "camped" on my number to call me when I hung up...or did they disrupt my connection (I'd been on line via dial-up for several hours) to force me to hang up and talk to them? I'm not a conspiracy-minded wacko, but neither am I willing to attribute this to an extraordinarily well-timed coincidence. Has anybody else experienced something like this?

1 Comments:

  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    Yes, I believe this is a deliberate tactic. Due to the way those phone jerks are always calling me, this is what I think happens.

    Their computer is continuously dialing numbers. Humans don't dial anymore, because it cuts down on their actual talking on the phone time. When it hits a busy line, it continues to dial repeatedly until the line is no longer used and the call finally gets through.

    When this happens, it takes several seconds for the human on the other end to react to the notification that the computer now has someone on the other end of the line. This has happened to me more times than I can count. If I get a call after hanging up the modem, I am immediately suspicious. If I answer and don't hear a human voice respond within 2 seconds, I hang up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004