Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Redheaded Stepchild of the Gun Safe: Browning BDM

Here's another interesting design that never really caught on; I think it was designed by a Czech immigrant. So it has that going for it.

This was another impulse buy at the end of a Maryland waiting period. I had come to pick up my SiG P229 and now had the power of instant gratification granted to me by the Peoples Republic of Maryland. This was right before an impending tour to Korea, so hoplo-hedonism ((C) Copyright Cowboy Blob, 2005, all rights reserved) was the order of the day. I was enamored of a BHP "Practical" (two-tone High-Power with a big safety catch) and this gun, which feels better in my hand than almost anything, except the female breast. Apparently, I was the only one who thought so, because the model flopped in the States. Note that the safety lever flips up to fire, something counter-intuitive to most American shooters. Forward of the safety is a two-position switch which toggles you between pistol and revolver (DAO) mode.

That about does it for my redheaded stepchildren, besides the few that I sold away into adoption (BHP and Ruger P-85) or handed-down to my little brother (Taurus PT99AF). As a matter of fact, the only 9-mm handguns I own that aren't RHSC are my P-38s, a Glock 19, and the Chinese Tokarev that qualifies as a "museum piece." Some day I'll learn to be a good stepfather and take these brats out to the range. They're all fun in their own way, despite their power handicap or lack of a niche in my carry/competition rotation.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger El Capitan said…

    I was amazed at how comfortable the grip on the BDM was. The safety weirded me out, though, and it's so large you need a winter parka if you want to conceal it.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The BDM was - IS - a most excellent pistol.
    Watch The Matrix Reloaded and you will see "Cereph" the Asian body guard of The Oracle packing a pair of these bad boys.
    Super slim design with high capacity magazines... a great CCW option.
    Hopefully the design will come back with some refinements.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Had a BDM for several years - finally sold it since I hadn't shot it for a while. The strong point is the excellent grip. The negatives are everything else. That trigger is horrible - heavy, stagey. I actually liked it better in revolver mode, but compared to my Glock...well, there is no comparison. It's one of the worst triggers on a handgun I've ever seen. The safety is worthless as well. Hopefully the new FN pistols that are an offshoot of this one have worked on these problems.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004