Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Top Ten War Movies

Acidman posted his top ten favorite war movies. Check 'em out; here's mine:

Honorable Mention: Go For Broke: token B&W flick for the list. The acting and action was standard for the period, but the story of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team must be told often.

10) Battle of Britain: Hollywood has never made an air war movie to my satisfaction. BOB used authentic aircraft and okay special effects. I wish they'd make a movie out of Thud Ridge.

9) Starship Troopers: Okay, not really a war movie, but it had Denise Richards in it. And a glimpse of what future war might be like. If you're gonna get huffy about it, I'll replace it with Bat-21.

8) Patton: Great acting! Wish they hadn't melted down all that great German armor right after the war. Heck, Kelly's Heroes had real Shermans and Tigers!

7) To Hell and Back: Another average movie made great by the fact that it's true (mostly).

6) Sergeant York: I watch this and #7 every Memorial Day.

5) We Were Soldiers: Another true story well done by Hollywood.

4) Henry V: Brannagh's Harry and the Original Band of Brothers! And the dialog never gets old, because you can scarcely understand it! Once more into the breech, dear friends!

3) Saving Private Ryan: A Hollywood story but jam-packed with gripping realism. The Gold Standard for special effects.

2) Blackhawk Down: True story of heroism amid a military clusterf*ck. Shughart and Gordon were for real!

1) Band of Brothers: The other BOB. I could have broken this miniseries into individual episodes and monopolized a third of the top ten. It's good to know some of the originals are still around; the interviews made the movie that much more special.

El Capitan has his own list. I like a lot of stuff on it; I haven't seen Waterloo since high school.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Buffalokill said…

    oh man... I at least expected Full Metal Jacket to come in 4th... but its not even on here!

    "I wanted to be the first kid on my block to have a confirmed kill"

    I love that movie.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger BillyBudd said…

    Guns of Navarone?
    Paths of Glory?
    Where Eagles Dare?
    The Dirty Dozen?
    Gettysburg?
    Das Boot?
    Bridge too Far?

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger BillyBudd said…

    The Great Escape?
    Stalag 17?

     
  • At 3:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    MMM, denise richards.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004