Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Let's Get Tactical











The Pima Tactical 3-Gun kicked off on a chilly Arizona Sunday morning. Forty-four shooters split into five squads to engage the five stages of fire set out for us. The match director closed down the only pistol stage early due to safety concerns. The matches are under new management, who decided to make every stage single-gun for simplicity's sake, so we had two riotgun and two carbine stages remaining.

Jon and I were the only ones entered in Heavy Metal class, so I had my work cut out for me. He shoots the fullsize M1A with his neat-o muzzle brake faster than I can shoot the SOCOM (which has a nice brake too) and he left me behind score-wise from the very beginning. Riotgun was much closer, since we had nearly identically configured Remington 870 pump guns.
















We were squadded with some of the same folks I shot with for the October Pima Tactical. The "Old Guy" was with another squad though, and was competing with a Ruger Mini-14. "Tommy Tactical" would have been at home with the guys from Cavalry Arms, who basically wore and shot their entire inventory. The Pink Lady won the Women's Division again. New Shooter Jeff (who I took under my wing in October) showed up with a friend new to the game. (Whoohoo!) Unfortunately, their day was marred with some rookie mistakes, Jeff's earning him a DQ for "breaking the 180" and Russell's giving us all a chuckle when he decided the two shotgun slugs would print nicer on the clean white targets than on the ratty, taped brown targets. I'd panicked a bit because he was using my shotgun (I hadn't shot yet) and I thought the rifle sights were on, but he reassured me that the shots went right where he wanted them, but he shouldn't have wanted them on the "no-shoot" targets if he was thinking right. I don't think Jeff was too discouraged by the pre-mature ending of his shooting day; he had a lesson in gun safety deeply ingrained by the event. I think Russell will be back too!

Overall, it was a great day to be afield in the Arizona sunshine. Notice my garb was designed to maximize heat absorption. It was gloriously warm in the sun and chilly in the shade. I spent a lot of time alternating between the two to stay comfortable.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said…

    Looks like a lot of fun was had by all. I wish we had some of your weather, though. I think it's rained for two months straight here in WAshington.......

    .....Mr. C.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    what are your thoughts about the SOCOM vs. the SCOUT model? What made you decide on the SOCOM? I'm looking hard at the Scout version and just lookin' for some input!

    thx

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I'd already settled on a 16-incher when I went shopping (either Bushmaster or Springfield) and had never put my hands on a Scout (18") so I never even considered it. The 16 is beautifully balanced for me, short arms and all, and handles great in the tight spaces in which I need to handle it in matches. I'll probably suck just as bad at 300 yards as I always did, but I was using a 16-inch AR then too.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    Is power factor a problem at all with the shorter barrel?

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Not that I know of...no one's asked to chrono me yet. The IPSC/3-Gun class description doesn't seem to mention power factor per se, just "7.62X51 or larger" cartridge.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Remington 700 Shooter said…

    Nice range report and lots of interesting guns!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004