Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

I'm back!

That would have been to shortest trip home ever distance-wise if it hadn't been for the detour in downtown El Paso TX; I needed to use no "loops" around major population centers because I hit them all at non-peak hours. I slept in as late as I could, then loaded the truck and headed south at about 11:30 am. It was cloudy and the temperature read 65 degrees, even at Mom's house's altitude. It was rain, rain, rain from central PA to southern VA, then night fell to clear and cold conditions. Thank heavens for Goretex! I caught combat naps at each rest stop in AR, then caught some power sleep at the stop just south of Texarkana. It was after the morning rush at D/FW, so I pushed through heavy, but fast traffic (for once) and stopped for gas and a Subway lunch in Ranger TX. I saved the other half of my sub for dinner in Pecos TX. By then, I'd calculated that I could be home by 0200 MST if I could drive straight through. I vetoed that plan, intending to get home alive, if a few hours later. I caught a short nap in NM after marvelling at the big clear sky full of stars. Power naptime hit just inside the AZ border in time to watch the sun come up. Home, sweet home, at 9 am.

Kids, don't try this at home...I'm an experienced professional hermit. You married guys can expect to get a third the mileage per day I did and have to stop at all scenic lookouts, factory outlets, etc. You'll sleep in a motel (if you're not hauling a trailer) or detour to visit friends who live only remotely near your route. I usually do visit friends, but declined to this once, so I could get home and recover in time for the upcoming First Sunday match.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad you made it home safe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004