Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, November 28, 2005

The Guns of November

The first Monday after Thanksgiving is an unofficial holiday on the PA school calendar: it's the first day of buck season. While I was dragging stuff around for the sidewalk project, my brother Keith, Uncle Lenny (no relation or connection with the ferret), and double-cousin Craig (my family tree not only branches, it loops!) donned their day-glo orange and attempted to avoid getting shot by trigger-happy yahoos from Joisey long enough to harvest a cornfed buck in the woods down the hill behind Mom's house.

Craig bagged a meaty (but just legal, antler-wise) buck with his scoped .30-06. By the time he could field dress the carcass and drag it out of the woods, the venison source was too stiff to fit in the trunk. This was the first time I'd met Craig and I hadn't seen Lenny for a few years. They stopped in for coffee, so I got a late start on the sidewalk. More on that once I get back to AZ.

Update: For you gear nuts out there, Craig dropped the buck with a Remington 700 in .30-06, a gift to Uncle Lenny from his father when Lenny was just 12 years old. Way cooler than a Playstation!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger BULLSEYE said…

    Holy Jimmy Hoffa Batman!

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger Countertop said…

    Hey!

    Watch what you say about those yahoos from Joisey, Its not their fault they can't use their guns in their own state. Plus, us Virginians (even us transplanted yahoos from Joisey) like the fact that all the other yahoos from Joisey head to PA and not to VA to hunt. I'd like to keep it that way.

    In other news, the pic of your brother (or is it your double cousin) is hilarious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004