Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Sorry, Explorers!

For those of you reading this in Micro$oft IE, I really do have a side bar, a blogroll, and some interesting links...but I can't get them to show in IE. Also, the bottom post's comment link is jacked, but I can't figure out the problem in the template (after all, it all works in Firefox); this is probably what's keeping the sidebar from loading. Could one of you Javascript gurus out there do a View Source and see what's screwed up? I see some lines specifically addressing IE, but it's all Greek to me:

a.comment-link {
/* ie5.0/win doesn't apply padding to inline elements,
so we hide these two declarations from it */
background/* */:/**/url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%;
padding-left: 14px;
}

html>body a.comment-link {
/* respecified, for ie5/mac's benefit */
background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%;
padding-left: 14px;
}

5 Comments:

  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, not being more inherently familiar with that code, and being a LONG EFFIN WAY from a Java guru, I think I might know where the problem is.

    The star-slash (*/) denotes the beginning of a comment, and as you may have guessed, a slash-star (/*) denotes the end of a comment.

    On the thrid line, after background, there is a colon inside a comment area. After that, there is the beginning of another comment area. Either that star-slash shouldn't be there, or the closing slash-star is missing.

    a.comment-link {
    /* ie5.0/win doesn't apply padding to inline elements,
    so we hide these two declarations from it */
    background/* */:/**/url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%;
    padding-left: 14px;
    }

    I couldn't tell you where the closer should go, but you could try closing it right after the open to test.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    I use IE and I've never had any problem seeing your sidebar, blogroll and everything.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Thanks, Vern! But when I moved the comments outside the { brackets, I opened it in IE and everything was fixed and you were my hero! Then I realized that I hadn't published the changes...so nothing was wrong except for IE not working the several times I tried this morning. But you're still my hero for trying to help!

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My pleasure. Glad you were able to resolve it...

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm using Microsoft ME operating system and Firefox browser. And I sometimes don't see blogrolls on blogs. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong, so would you mind letting me know what we are supposed to see here?

    Here's what I see on the right side of your page:

    -"About Me" with description
    -View My complete profile link
    -a list of Previous Posts (10 links)
    -a British flag
    -"I Power Blogger" symbol with link
    -words "Blog Ads"
    -paragraph starting with "No money"
    -picture link for Americandrumslinger
    -picture link for "surf the RKBA blogs"
    -picture link for "Carnival of Crodite"
    -American flag picture
    -picture link for Jerkey Wars
    -words "Bloggers for Beef Jerkey"
    -"I Power Blogger" symbol with link
    -words "Cowboy Blob's Blogroll"
    -words "Take a ride through..."
    -link for "Tucson bloggers"
    -link for "Blogroll me."

    Is there anything else there? Specifically, is there supposed to be anything between "Cowboy Blob's Blogroll" and "Take a ride through Tuscon's blogring?"

    Thanks!
    George at Sleepless in Midland

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004