Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Soul-Sucking Video Game



Where have I been the last few days? Besides some blog-reading, minimal housework, and chasing the weasels around their room, I've been lost in the soul-leeching depths of Civilization II. I've had it for years and managed to put it away most of the time for things like a social life, exercise, basically not being a bump on a log...but this week, President Pyotr Pyotrivich has brought the Russian Empire to its greatest heights. I don't even play it at the most challenging levels! I rack up almost all of the Wonders of the World, pound every last other culture into the dirt until they're surrounded and at my mercy, then run up my population over the maximum of 330 million, then launch my pimped-out spaceship in 2008 A.D. so that it arrives at Alpha Centauri the year before I'm supposed to retire (2020).

I'll bet no one who plays this game has a wife or a girlfriend.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Civ III is better.

    There are too many built in cheats/errors in Civ II.

    If you start an engineer function, then sentry the engineer, you get a free turn worth of work. Repeat until done ... three engineers can make a farmed or mined railroad square in one turn.


    ... and my favorite: building road, railroad, and fortifications at sea ( try using an engineer in a boat ... heh ).

    Artillery and tanks can get unlimited attacks from one rail square to another ... attack once, sentry, and attack again ....

    Civ II is just too broken....


    ( and you thought you didn't have a life.... )

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Civ 4 is coming!!

    Civ 4 is coming!!

    http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=6

    Stock up on ferret food and beer!

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You think you don't have a life? Back in high school my buddy and I spend most of the first semester of calculus modifying Civ II to be sports-related. The catapult was basketball (because they don't play defenese in the NBA), I can't remember all the details of it, but it was actually quite a lot of fun to play. Unfortunately, one of the wonders didn't turn out all that well. I think we changed Leonardo's workshop to "Dan Snyder's Acquisitions." The aquaduct was hydration. Gunpowder was "the ball."

    Anyway... Civ III is a heck of a lot better. But playing with the rules.txt file in Civ II was just too much fun.

    Nate

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is a pain... I went so far as to buy an old P233 laptop specifically so I could play the game in bed, at work or while killing time on the balcony.

    It holds up pretty well, for an old game it still steals more of my time than anything newer...

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger Rodger the Real King of France said…

    Jesus, burn Moscow while you can ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004