Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

I Need a Toy Lawyer

Reportedly, removing the orange tip from an AirSoft gun is illegal (or maybe not, if you can trust the internet)... but replica guns and movie props don't have orange tips. Does that mean I can't legally use an AirSoft gun made with an orange tip as a movie prop by removing or painting over the orange tip? Some blank-firing guns have an orange or red plug in the barrel, but not all.

Also, if I want a custom tiger-stripe paint job on a rifle and the flash hider ends up orange, is this now an outlawed weapon? I think a day-glo orange AR would be really bitchin'.

In the meantime, I'm keeping a can of fluorescent orange Krylon on my prop box and an eye peeled for the cops. I think I just answered my own question.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sigivald said…

    Possibly there might be a local/state law about it.

    I've never heard of a federal law about that, and it sounds a lot like urban myth, possibly conflated with

    a) aforesaid local laws

    b) the more-or-less voluntary practice of doing so on child-market-aimed toy guns back when they still sold realistic ones, to counter the "toy guns get you killed!" moral panic I vaguely recall from the 80s.

    If they can't show you a statute, it ain't illegal, I say.

    (If really worried, write the ATF.)

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Fits said…

    Virtually every individual member of the constabulary has his own "law" with regards to toy and prop firearms, so asking one of them is flat out silly. Gun lawyers are simply the only way to go for total peace of mind but you're still going to be hassled if an out of sorts Keystoner wants to haul you in.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Chuck Kuecker said…

    I am waiting for the first nutcase or criminal to paint the muzzle of his real gun orange so he can walk around in public with it right up until he starts shooting...

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Fits said…

    Shhhhhhh Chuck; then they'll blame you. Liberals love blaming everyone but the perpetrator.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger LPF said…

    As a practical matter: cover it with electrical tape for shooting, then remove it afterward.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    As a practical matter, the audience will be wondering why there's electrical tape on the muzzles (especially those with flash-hiders).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004