Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Lawyers, Guns, and Money

The Scottsdale Gun Club borrows their unofficial motto (seen embroidered on the shirts of competitors) from Warren Zevon's hit of the same name. I have absolutely no problem with that, since I've squadded over the years with their members at the SMM3G and the Cactus League and met some really great folks who just happened to be lawyers who eschewed the golf clubs for a rather (I think, but I'm prejudiced) more interesting and fun sport: 3-Gun Practical Shooting.

It's gotten to be that the last person I'd expect to see at a practical match is a fer-real police officer, since they don't seem to mind competing amonst themselves, but unless they're in the ranks of the truly awesome, they'll just keep to themselves. I'd noticed in the Air Force that some non-beret-wearin' airmen and flight-suit-wearin' hobbyists would routinely clean the clocks of the gun-toting Security Forces types at the USAF Excellence-in-Competition matches. My buddy Jon even has the medals to prove it (sadly, I never earned any before I retired... though I tried, dammit!).

This hobby is definitely not for those pinching pennies, but I think that some police officers, though rather well-paid, are just indifferent towards perfecting weapons skills and would rather spend time with their families. No problem with that until said weapons skills come rapidly into the public need. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

Anyway, one of the local 3-Gun luminaries (a lawyer) who passed up the SMM3G I attended last week just happened to kick ass in their Tactical-Heavy Division at the LaRue Tactical 3-Gun match in Texas (held on the same weekend)!!

Heck, I even know the guy! Let's hear it for lawyers with guns! Who know what gun rights are all about!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004