Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

This is Sparta?

Thankfully, it wasn't too stinkin' hot to go shooting today. It wasn't even hot enough to keep the loonies in their air conditioned asylum. Head Loon Jake (He of the BattleKilt) launched an experimental division for the heat-addled hardcore among us. Named Agoge (Ah Go Gay) after the Spartan training regimen, the division requires you to carry your entire load-out through the whole match (kinda like CavArms' Trooper division) and incorporates a physical challenge immediately after the start signal. Half the shooters, some of them first-timers, gave it a try. Not me... I was having enough of a physical challenge participating in the match!

Our first stage was out on the 200-yard stage; we did that first so we could finish up in the shade. The firing position was at the halfway point; the energetic Ago-getters had to run an 80-yard dash after the buzzer to reach their rifles. A few dropped magazine penalties were dished out to teach guys to secure their gear better and the exertion naturally played hell with accuracy. Jake flounced skipped manfully charged through the catcalls and scored several hits within the 60-second par time. Since the "Cover" provision in the rules was suspended for this stage, I shot the steel standing up... and thought I did pretty well until Aaron the Nemesis showed up.

Next was an attack/retreat "buddy drag" featuring a 100-pound duffel bag. We mere mortals had to start in the supine position; the crazy ones had to do five revolutions around the Dizzy Bat before staggering into action. Oh, how I wish I'd videoed one of those! Aaron the Nemesis had a smokin' time on the stage, but it was more smoke than fire as his penalties might let me catch up.

The last stage was actually a two-fer; we shot it pistol-only first, then rifle-only. The physical challenge was either six "squat thrusts" or 20 jumping jacks. Jake decided to shoot the pistol stage one-handed only. That's hardcore enough, then I noticed from the picture above that Jake is a south-paw and he shot the stage weak-handed. I don't think I'll be ribbing Jake for low scores this time. Kilt jokes are another matter....

Whoohoo! Match winner, Baby! I won't let my head swell, though. I barely squeaked ahead of Aaron, who shot an iron-sighted short-barreled rifle. Krazy Karl led the Agoge Fans.

Update Too! Dizzy Bat Video!


Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like you guys had a good time.

    Except for the hot sand blowing up the skirt... er, I mean KILT.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bob, just thought you might like to know that you were the overall winner this month. You beat Aaron by 1.37 points! Congratulations!

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Almost couldn't watch the video. A guy in a skirt is just NOT right. It makes me want to turn my head in embarrassment.
    Daisycat.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, thinking further, maybe ACTS should enforce a proper dress code based on the types of movements required in the matches.....
    Daisycat

     
  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger Desert Cat said…

    Kilt!

    ...oh lordy...and me being part Scottish, this I have to hear?

    It's a good thing she's cute.

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daisycat, it actually "is" a kilt. Jake and his brother both wear them. Jake seemed to actually do well with it. Well, at least I didn't see his junk!

     
  • At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, ok, kilt. But, you ask any American girl and we'll call it a skirt.
    Daisycat.

     
  • At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree, most of us guys call it a skirt as well! :D

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Ranger_SXT said…

    If I wore something besides shoes and socks underneath it, it would be a skirt...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004