Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How 'Bout Them Apples?

A product of Uncle Sugar's Airplane Patch Defense Force myself, I was a tad dismayed that Breda's experience with the Appleseed Project was less than positive. Heat issues aside, I wondered "What's the big deal about the sling?" I never shot with a sling in my entire USAF career! Sure, Zoomie marksmen aren't the first thing you think of when military marksmanship is mentioned, but the combat arms folks can teach a total newbie to score Expert in a day.

PDB is a bit critical. I've never been to an Appleseed event, but I know a few things about technical training and I don't think PDB is off base here. I think some of the problem might lay in Appleseed's squeezing everything into a single day, though I feel it ought to be possible. USAF Basic had a dry-fire day and a wet-fire day, but follow-on training retaught the whole syllabus in a single day. Since a lot of Basic time involved marching out to the range and back, there's no reason you can't make some decent riflemen in a single day. Maybe if they left out the slings and shooting mats and concentrated on the sight picture....

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger freddyboomboom said…

    I enjoyed the 2 day Appleseed event I went to, and most of it was "find the natural point of aim, and concentrate on the front sight".

    It's going to depend on the instructors, and they're all volunteers...

    I thin pdb needs to step up to the plate and be an Appleseed instructor...

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger cmblake6 said…

    Hey, I was CATM. And yes, I can make you an extremely good shot in a day. I've not been to an Appleseed, but I like the idea it represents. Now if they can get some instructors like the one above, instead of a hardcore Special Forces sort like you described, it could be very useful to the nation. You want the hardcore? Set up a "level 2" class or some such

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004