Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Rio Salado 2-Gun

Today was our most important practice match before the Superstition; we got a chance to wring out our 200-300 yard rifle skills on the same range as the big annual match. All right, truthfully, it was important to Jon. I maintained my typical suckitude with shotgun and I couldn't hit the last two 200+yard targets to save my life (but I refused to spray my entire C-Mag at them). Jon finished 11th in the match and 4th in the Tac-Scope Division

Our first stage was three slug targets, two poppers, and two plate racks to clear with shotgun.

Next, two poppers that launch clay pigeons, a Texas star, popper, and two free-standing plates.

One thing I love about 3-Gun is that we don't take ourselves too seriously. The next stage started the shooter in the start box holding a rubber chicken. (If I had written the stage, the shooter would have to engage the sleeping guard [left] in the head with the chicken before taking his gun.) The shooter butt-strokes two poppers (which activate three movers) then seated in the ersatz Hum-Vee, engages cardboard with the rifle staged on the vehicle's hood. It was so much fun, I did rather well, but still finished 15 seconds behind the class winner.

Our last stage was a small assault down a wash, a hillclimb to engage three flashers at around 100 yards, then prone out on a ramp to engage six LaRue resetting silhouettes at the far end of the range. I was hitting waaaay above my perceived 200-yard zero, so I had to walk my rounds down. Didn't help for the furthest two; I could barely see them. Might be time for an eye test.

Jon got some valuable practice out of it; I had fun. I squeaked ahead of the same lady who beat me at the PR&GC 3-Gun (28th in my class, 48th in the match; much nearer the bottoms than the tops). We shed our jackets early in the day and rubbed elbows with 3-Gun buddies from all over the PHX-TUC area. It was a good day.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said…

    That looks hilarious, and like a lot of fun.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    Looks like fun. Ah, to be shooting when it's warm without a ton of clothes on....

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Errrm...aren't you in Texas? *I* wore shorts today.... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004