Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Friday, February 23, 2007

HoloSight Shooting

Reader GaryN asked me to post on shooting with the EOTech holographic sight. I'm no expert on the device, but I know what I like. The sight offers no magnification of the target picture, but when used correctly, projects a quite visible reticle right where the rifle shoots at a specific range.

My first order of business will be to tune my iron sights to be dead-on at around 25 yards, the average distance at which practical targets appear in the gun games I play. Then, I can adjust the HoloSight reticle to appear at the tip of my front sight as viewed through the rear sight. I like this feature because I don't even have to be at the range to calibrate the Holosight. After this is done, I can drop the back-up rear sight out of the way and place the dot on the A-zone and pull the trigger. Rather than monkey with the Holosight at further ranges, I'll make note of the point of impact at 100-yard increments and ensure I apply "Kentucky elevation" at those ranges.



With many optical scopes, it's imperative to keep a good cheek-weld on the rifle; otherwise, you'll get the "black fuzzies" or no target picture at all. With all the movement and contortions 3-Gun competition involves, I can just keep my attention over the top of the rifle and shoot when I place the reticle on the target.

(Note that the camera on macro-focus blurred the reticle...when focused downrange, or at least as far as the front sight, the reticle is sharp. Eyes aren't as fussy as my camera.)

On a flattop AR, this highly desirable relationship between iron and glass sights is called "co-witnessing." With my Springfield .308, I'll just have to sight it in at the range, since mounting the HoloSight does not allow use of the iron sights.

Readers, feel free to kick in any advice I missed.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    Hard to go wrong with the holosight - looks like you got the AA version too - easy to find batts!!

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is some cool stuff, under pressure is it easy to line up? Just a stupid question.

    CCW tomorrow

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    A lot easier than iron sights, as long as you remember to turn it on!

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Billy Budd,

    This is Jon, Cowboy Blob's shooting buddy. The sight is very easy to "line up" because you aren't actually lining it up. The sight allows you to focus on your target and see the reticle as if it were projected onto the the target. Cowboy Blob's first pic show him looking through his iron sights at the reticle but the only reason he is doing that is to roughly sight in his EOTECH. I have a Trijicon reflex on my bushmaster, which works similarly and I look over my iron sights to see my reticle. Cowboy Blob will be able to fold his rear sight down until he needs it. Like when it fails during the middle of a stage because he forgot to change the batteries periodically!

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Yeah! What he said!

     
  • At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    COOL!!! Thanks Blob!

    Mine is on it's way...

    GaryN

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004