Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Excessive Moderation

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms...my favorite things, but not necessarily in that order. The first two I've had to cut down as I've gotten older, but my increased free time has allowed me to enjoy the third much more than ever.

My favorite booze is Myers Dark Rum, but I'm not too proud to drink the budget stuff in the big plastic bottle. I save the good stuff for company... but I can't buy the good stuff and save it for company 'cuz company to the hacienda is rare and when the cheap stuff runs out...there it is.

I also like a good single malt scotch, Jack Daniels, Bushmills, and Famous Grouse. These are not mixed with anything but my tongue. I might chase it with H2O on the rocks, but these distilleries didn't spend so much time purifying their products so that I could pollute them.

I like Bier and beer. Bier is a loaf of bread in a bottle and I don't distinguish it from Ale. Pilsner Urquell, Bass, Harp's, Anchor Steam, Belhaven, Modelo Negro, Sam Adams...I love 'em all. Guinness I can leave, though. Scoff at me all you want.

Beer, on the other hand, is cool, refreshing barley-pop. I drink beer outdoors in the heat, at the bowling alley, shooting pool, and playing cards. Bud/Coors/Miller are interchangeable, but when back East, I favor Schmidt's and Genny Cream Ale, "just because." [Hey, Lil Bro! Don't let this affect how you stock yer fridge...free beer is my favorite beer and I'm not picky!]

Now tobacco I can take or leave...I'm currently taking it for as long as this can lasts...then I'll quit for a couple of months. Imagine AlanDP cringing right now; cheap tabacky and an old Dr. Grabow filtered pipe held together with scotch tape. I definitely won't be featured as his Pipesmoker of the Week at any time. I've never tried a Cuban cigar (though they were available in Korea), but I've enjoyed a cheap Swisher Sweet. Experimented with cigarettes in Korea...seems every tour I started smoking there, but quit when I returned. Was more of a social thing.

My firearms habit you regular readers know about; a gun safe full of safe-queens, redheaded stepchildren, and a full battery of carry and competition gats. My buying impulse has slowed down as I've become close to self-actualized in this arena, but my shooting impulse is undeniable. I'd like to make two matches a month a regular thing; kinda hardcore when you consider I drive two hours each way to reach a quality league match. It's a wonder I don't move to Phoenix to be closer, but that's just crazy talk...have you ever seen weekday traffic in Phoenix?

4 Comments:

  • At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Any time you think of moving to Pheonix, sit quietly and drinks lots of the cheap stuff. Very shortly that ideotic idea will dissapear.

    Tucson has too much traffic, Phoenix GGGAAAHHHHH!

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you tried Bacardi Anejo? If not I highly recommend you do.

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    Gack!

    I have nothing against an old Dr. G patched together with tape, though.

     
  • At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe the "Half and Half" is half horse dung and half well rotted hay.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004