Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Gunsafe Queen a While Longer

Thanks to Firehand's WECSOG M-1 Carbine project, I got interested in converting my Universal into a practical shooter with some combat glass. Not quite the scout model, just a heads up bullet hose that scares GFWs. Despite learning that the ADCO sight was dead-on after installation, I decided this project needs some more attention. Perhaps it doesn't like Wolf .30 Carbine; maybe I should have given it a more thorough cleaning...jams galore, just like the MekTech did. Better get cleaning and check out another source of .30 Carbine. It'll give me something to do next week.

I used the Southwest Regional Shooting Park for the first time today since Desert Trails was being dug up. The new park is okay for a public range, but if DT is putting in real berms that attract some match leagues, I'll be willing to go back there.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Most llkely the Wolf is your problem. A friend bought a new one and lots of cheap Wolf. It jammed a lot too until he switched to Winchester ammo. The only way it would run with Wolf was to hose the loaded mag down with WD 40 just before shooting.

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Won't WD-40 corrupt the primers?

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said…

    What the hell forearm whatchamacallit is on that?? How did you mount it up? :-) I had a fun shoot with my Postal Meter this weekend. Thinking of optics though...also due to Firehan's post. I don't have any optics on anything, so that would be a place to start.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Tri-rail forarm available from Sportsman's Guide (they also make one for the Mini-14). It clamps to the barrel in two places (kinduva PITA to install).

    If I ever get it working right, I'll take it to the Practice Match, but I'll stick to the AR or SOCOM when shooting for points.

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said…

    Ah-ha, I found a link (doh!) at Firehand's post. I see that the "rearward" part extends back and overhangs the handguard - I just wonder what that would do to barrel harmonics, not that the M1 Carbine isn't already sorta compromised there. Firehand's solution isn't bad, you can get a ventilated metal guard on eBay for around $10 that you could weld (or tack) a rail straight onto... Hmmm
    Still, I really got no optics - except for an old "4X Redfield 1" Tube" thing I found at a garage sale....

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I tore up the center of a paper plate at 15 yards...that was good enough for me!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said…

    They don't let us get that close-up to the target-frames! ;-) We shot the Carbine Match at 50.

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Firehand said…

    PITA to install how? And how do you like the thing overall?

    They seem to be picky about Wolf. Mine shoots it to the same POI as GI-spec, never had a problem.

    Dirt, Sportsman's Guide has some inexpensive red-dots, about $20 and up; might be the cheap way to try it out.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Oh, it is waaay cool! I even took the light off my Glock and tried it on the side rail. It was only a PITA in that it required some precision on my part. I'm not a precision guy, as you can tell from my shooting.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One caveat about commercial ammo. My Father-in-law bought 250 rounds of UMC/Remington yellow box ammo. They were too weak to reliably cycle the action.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004