Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Civil Defense Guns

As I type this, law-abiding citizens are defending their lives and livelihoods from roving bands of criminals in New Orleans. They're using guns they may have reserved for this purpose or with only what they had on hand.

Confererate Yankee has a great post on disaster guns. Here's my take on the subject:

At home, I probably have enough to arm every able-bodied adult on my block (it's a short block) against a platoon of apocalyptic zombies, but civilization might not fall only when I'm at home. Whenever I roadtrip, part of my survival kit includes at least one firearm, mainly because activities at my destination usually include gun fun. Even when that's not the case, I pack a pistol and a long gun, ensuring they're cased as per the most restrictive state on the route. I'd include a "California Gun" (M1A, SKS, or lever-action Winchester) if my route forced me through that state, or New Jersey, or some other fascist Nanny State that forbids Evil Black Rifles. I plan my route to maximize travel through states that recognize or reciprocate my Arizona Concealed Carry permit.

My roadtrip would have begun this week, and I would have been subject to the big spike in gas prices in the South. I may even have been stranded somewhere due to remnants of Katrina, gas shortages, or mechanical trouble. I would not have gone very near the New Orleans lawlessness, but certainly many high-crime areas lie in the path. I usually schedule my gas and rest stops for between urban areas on the Interstate, but you never know when you'll encounter a goblin or zombie. Go read Confederate Yankee's post!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said…

    You can never be too prepared.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger CDR Salamander said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger CDR Salamander said…

    Travel is touchy. About the only repeating long rifle you can get away with is a lever action. Being that my back-up is a SP101 (very confortable-strong-reliable-idiot proof) and I could only take 1 rifle to go with it, I would go with the W94 in 357. Tons of ammo (357 and 38special), can share with the pistol if needed. Revolver and lever action can get you about anywhere. You won't be able to hold off the guys from "Dawn of the Dead" for long...but.....good enough.

    Now if I had to take from the arsenal.......go with what you are comfortable with. Though I love my 1911 better, I'll take the 92FS and my AR10A4. Yummy.

    In reality though, I just take the SP101 by default when needed on the road.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004