Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Our Blessed Lady of Acceleration...and Tunes!

Spent some of the holidays out of the saloon, including a roadtrip to Greater Phoenix. A friend of mine invited me up for Thanksgiving with his extended family and his Day After Feast at his home with friends. That was a lot of socializing for me, and a long time for Lenny and Squiggy to be alone, and a lot of gluttony, and a lot of socializing...did I ever tell you I'm not very social?

Anyway, I bailed on the Thurday Thing...I microwaved the last of my turkey sausage chili, called home where they passed the phone around and said, "Howdy," and watched the traditional Detroit and Dallas football games. After the sun went down, it was time to head for the Valley of the Sun. I hadn't driven the Stang for a month and I was a little leary about little critters building nests in the wiring and causing a fire, but not quite enough to pop the hood and look. Heck, let the stampeding horses shake the nesting out!

Remember when I posted a meme asking what CD would you rather get stuck in your CD player? Of course not...I had about three regular readers back then. Well, it happened to me Friday and fortunately I had an even better CD in the player that will no longer eject...a homemade CD entitled Remax ("remakes") which I made for my friend's wedding reception. All remakes that sound better the second time around (Jon and his bride were each getting married for the second time). When the Tucson FM started petering out after Picacho, I was greeted with:

"Hey, hey, what can I do?" by Hootie and the Blowfish. What? How can that be better than the Led Zep version? I had to wait for the %&*&* Led Zep box set to come out to get that great song on CD!!

Also..."Battle of Evermore" by the Lovemongers...dude, the Wilson sisters ROCK! It's the best use for mandolin since "Maggie May" and "Back in the High Life Again"

What else is in there? "I'm your Boogie Man" by Rob Zombie (the Crow soundtrack).

"Go Your Own Way" by the Cranberries (yeah, the guitars lacked the passion and precision of Lindsay Buckingham, but Delores O'Riordan made up for it on vocals. Stevie Nicks...don't be sad. Call me, we'll talk.

"Rocket Man" by Kate Bush (from the Eltom Remax album Two Rooms). Plus more....

"Gold Dust Woman" by Hole. Seriously, Stevie, if you're reading, call me.

There's much more, but I'm not here to bore you with my lack of musical taste. Instead, I'll bore you with my geekiness! We played Dungeons and Dragons with some of Jon's old high school friends, and inhaled some of the best turkey and fixings I've ever had. The gaming was very devious and entertaining, centered on Jon's incredible improvisation/authoring talents, but equally energized by the wizened veterans who know you don't kill every member of an evil party of humans/demihumans you encounter!

Well, I hope everybody had as good a holiday as I had, at least! Now, back to the saloon...gotta check out the expiration date on this bottle of vodka.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:02 AM, Blogger Benjamin said…

    Mr. Blob,

    I pride myself on being the most anti-social SOB that modern society has yet invented.

    But, in some ways, you surpass me.

    Your skills never fail to amaze.

    In any case, glad the holiday was good and best to you and yours.

    Thanks and regards,

    Benjamin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004