Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Back in the Olde Pueblo

Nothing like Mother Nature to made a road trip an adventure. After climbing Mom's as-yet unplowed driveway and escaping the Pennsylvania blizzard, I found refuge in snow-free Maryland to visit the hearth and home of dear friends. With an eye on the weather forecasts along my route, I set off for the return leg Sunday morning, hoping to clear the Smokey Mountains before the snows hit. I made it past Nashville when the flakes began falling and reached Jackson TN before ducking into a motel to avoid the treacherous roads.

Fortunately, TennDOT proved to be competent at clearing the Interstate in the morning. Arkansas... not so much. I must have passed a dozen wrecks and as many abandoned vehicles before I reached dry roads in Texas. The only scary moment then was as I pressed through rush hour El Paso traffic -- my eyeballs, one by one, plopped out of my head and rolled around on my dirty floor mats. I ducked into a mall parking lot and was disappointed to discover my eye drops were missing. After a short eye break and dinner in Las Cruces, I found New Mexico I-10 to be manageable once the sun went down.

The entire way, I made liberal use of McDonald's coffee and free wi-fi to take more breaks than usual (for me) and to surf the weather reports of the route ahead. I also kept in touch with loved ones via FaceBook, since the cellphone charge was saved for emergencies. I would have ordered a car charger by now if I hadn't been considering upgrading to a new phone... but who knows when I'll the trigger on that upgrade?

Now to get ready for the Spring Semester!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Stretch said…

    Imagine my surprise to see The Tunnel on your page. Dad lives one exit west of it. PA is divided in two. East of and West of The Tunnel. Both consider those on the Other Side lesser beings. Of course both sides would love to fob Philly off on New Jersey.
    Your photo also makes me darn glad I didn't drive up to see him this weekend.

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger cmblake6 said…

    Doesn't "Global Warming" just suck?

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Fits said…

    Gonna be upset all day after hearing you made "liberal use".

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger Serr8d said…

    Not much happened in Tucson whilst you were gone I don't think... )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004