Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday Smith

Weekend Wesson?

No, I'm not going to start collecting lots of antique Smiths and Colts like a certain Hoosier Amazon we all know. In fact, if I hadn't been researching 1930s police equipment for our school movie (I'm Armorer and Location Audio this time) and if today hadn't been the Birthday of the United States Air Force, I might not even have gone to the good gun show, let alone both of them.

What do you get when you schedule two gun shows for the same weekend in Tucson? Two sucky gun shows.

When I joined the Air Force, the official sidearm was a variation of my new (to me) Smith & Wesson Model 10-5, a .38 Special revolver whose lineage goes back to the .38 Hand Ejector Model of 1899. (Apparently, dainty USAF pilots couldn't handle the Colt 1911 .45 Auto all the other services' aircrews were using.) Be that as it may, by the time I dragged myself through aircrew and survival training in my advanced middle age, the wheel-guns were long gone, replaced by the Beretta M-9. Well, I don't own one of those and it'll take more than a whim and a birthday to motivate me to buy one. Maybe one of those gas-blowback AirSoft versions, though.

Meanwhile, I won my first ebay auction today, scoring a Don Hume holster that ought to carry one of our prop S&Ws during our film noir project. Now, if I could only find a source of cheap Sam Browne belts ("throwing strap" and all)....

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Hey

    I went to the Crossroads of the West gunshow on Saturday. I took a new 20" Predator-barreled Bushie with me (for one reason or another I had ended up with 4 AR clones, 2 of which were Bushmasters) to sell or trade.

    I ended up doing a very satisfactory straight-across trade for a Taurus P92, a new-in-box Argentine Hi Power and a new-in-box GSG-5 with all the toys.

    First time I've ever done a deal at that gun show, and I felt pretty good about it.

    You never can tell... :)

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    I'd like to see a really good research project done on the sidearms of the World War Two fliers. Judging only from long-ago conversations with a few of the veterans, they could carry about anything they wanted -- personal handguns, or the issue Model 10 "Victory," or the .45. The two constraints seemed to be cockpit layout and the flight suit.

    It's almost worth a special trip to the Sioux Falls airport to see the statue of Joe Foss in his tropical flying suit. He's wearing a 1911A1 on a plain GI Joe pistol belt.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said…

    I have one of those, a 1961 Model 10-5 it's sweet!! The house-gun is a '68 Model 10-8 with 4-inch bull barrel.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004