Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Kids Today

Last week as I was waiting for my appointment with the Sensei (Oral Assessment Exam), I hung out in the hallway with my classmates who had showtimes in the same range of the evening. It was interesting to note that all of them were rabid anime fan-grrrrls (all female too). While I recognized some of the series and characters they mentioned, I didn't dare mention that most of the times it was the Rule 34 versions I had seen on the Internet.





I guess we all really showed our ages when I mentioned the Akira Kurosawa marathon that Turner Classic Movies had shown just the night before. I got a lot of blank looks. I wonder if any of them were even out of diapers when Project A-ko, Akira, or Vampire Hunter D were released.

Toshiro Mifune here is disgusted with the lack of respect for the classics nowadays.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As a fan of 7 Samurai & Toshiro, I salute the reference! All though I also enjoy Yojimbo on occasion.
    Cheers,
    Bugthor

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger BobG said…

    I recorded most of it, and have been enjoying them.
    Toshiro Mifune was always good. If you look at samurai movies as being similar to our westerns, then he is the John Wayne of Japan.

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous ExurbanKevin said…

    Rashomon, Ran, Kagemusha, Yojimbo, The Hidden Fortress.. if Mifune directed it, I'm up for seeing it.

    And then there's also The Dirty Pai... I mean, Lovely Angels :), Macross, Gundam, and my fav, Area 88.

     
  • At 12:52 AM, Anonymous ExurbanKevin said…

    And by "Mifune", I mean, of course, "Kurosawa".

    Man, I don't know if I've been drinkin' too much or too little to make a mistake like that...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004