Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Take That, MythBusters

Tonight on Sniper: Inside the Crosshairs, The History Channel confirmed the "myth" that the MB bunch claimed was "busted." They scoffed at Gunny Carlos Hathcock's "through the scope" kill of an enemy sniper because they couldn't replicate it, yet they never tried to shoot through any analog of a Soviet Bloc PU sniper scope. THC used a red-dot scope that mimicked the fewer baffles of optics evident in the PU scope and drove a .308 round through the scope AND the dummy's head. Eat that, Hollywood Pukes.

Yup, I'm really endearing myself to the industry in which I'm trying to enter, ain't I?

Update: I've been corrected in Comments. I hadn't seen the episode or found the synopsis in my research. My apologies for inferring that MB's sloppy science is not so thorough, at least when the viewers call them on it. It just irks me that they were so willing to call the Marines liars for so long.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger Carteach said…

    Yup, that particular MB episode had me speaking to my TV in unkind tones. Too many errors to list, but it pointed to a lack of knowledge concerning the topic. Are expert consultants really that hard to find?

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Mythbusters re-tested that myth after viewer commentary and then later corrected their "BUSTED" conclusion to "CONFIRMED" when they were able to recreate it when using appropriate equipment, ammunition and optics. So yes, they made a mistake, but they were also man enough to correct it and admit it. Are you?

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here's the wikipedia link about re-addressing this issue in 2007:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2007_season)#Sniper_Scope

    And they went with "Plausible" other than "Confirmed", but at least they did correct themselves.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Mikee said…

    "Plausible" on MB means the idea is sound, proven to work.
    "Confirmed" means a specific set of facts is proven, such as the best way to exit a vehicle which has plunged into deep water.

    Hathcock's actions cannot be confirmed, only proven plausible, per the guidelines of the Mythbusters. Plausible is not a lesser grade than Confirmed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004