Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

At Least I'm Not a Hoofty

But that's not even on the list. Saw this meme all over the place today. As a kid, I'm sure I had a slight southern accent (TN/TX/LA) but got it hammered out of me by periodic moves back up North (PA/MA). My four years of high school in PA (after Dad retired) failed to press the rural PA "hoofty" accent on me. After that, it was the melting pot of the USAF, which pretty much levels the linguistic playing field for all but the most deeply ingrained accents. Baby Sis, the only one of us kids who didn't get dragged all over the country, is the only family member with a touch of the Hoofty in her voice. Gotta thank the family for minimizing that! Can't have my baby sister growing up sounding like a heevahava.


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Boston

The West

North Central

Philadelphia

The Northeast

The Inland North

The South

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger gregor said…

    in my best joisey accent, i'd like to wish you and your's a happy tanksgivin', my friend.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what exactly is a touch of Hoofty? According to this i have the Midland accent as well :P

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Serr8d said…

    " The South ".

    but...but...I was born in Phoenix! and raised in Show Low!

    Ahhhh, but when you don't have a regional accent when you're young (Arizona isn't much on 'known' accents, unless you're retired in Sun City) then you tend to get hammered when you relocate to a...'cultured' area. I caught much grief at my HS reunion last year...

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Rodney Dill said…

    Inland North

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004