Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Wanna Take a .22 to War?

Just being silly this morning. I read ACE's post on the 5.56 vs. 7.62 debate and thought, what does the M16 do better than an M-14? Damned little, except fire on full auto without jumping all over the place. That and allow the grunt to carry more ammo. But what's the value of rock'n'roll in a fire-fight, except to drive the enemy to cover while your buddies advance or retreat? If you're just going to spray and pray, why not do it with something even smaller and lighter (and cheaper) than an M-16 round?

Enter the WECSOGSOCOM-1622, a 7.62 carbine/battle rifle with a full-auto .22 LR attachment for hosing down alleyways and windows. The off-hand can actuate the bullet hose when needed while the trigger finger remains handy for aimed, accurate, and powerful rifle fire when a target presents itself.

I just slapped a barreled Ruger 10/22 action and jury-rigged trigger into the pic; I'm sure manufacturers and/or armorers could whip together something less cumbersome, maybe with a drum or side-mounted magazine.

Discuss.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    You might want to patent that idea. It sounds like one of those jokes that just might turn out to be true.

    If someone else hasn't already done it, that is.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You just gave me a great idea! Have one man in each squad armed with a dedicated grenade launcher, similar to M-79, but more modern. And have your full auto .22LR attached under the main barrel. This not only gives the grenadier a PDW, but also gives him suppressing fire. All of this in addition to the force multiplier that a grenade launcher provides.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well Other than the fact that it wouldnt Do shit aganist any kind of Armor .22 is probably one of the nastiest Rounds to get shot with. Because the bullet is small it actually Follows the muscle and the bones around. you might get shot in the chest and the round will bounce off the rib's and such.

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Caleb said…

    It's not tacticool enough! You need to add a flashlight and a night vision site as well!

    No, seriously though, that's hilarious.

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Firehand said…

    Had a chance to handle one of the SOCOM M1A rifles a while back, and I think the damn thing is heavier than my M1!

    Nice rifle, but weighs too much.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm.....about 30 years ago Dick Casull created the American 180, a full auto .22 that fired at something like 1200 rpm. Looked like a backwards tommy gun with a rotary magazine on top. Can't remember who made it, don't know if it's still in production (Browning in Belgium comes to mind, but I don't know if that's correct). A number of US prisons bought some because they're cheap to feed, effective out to maybe 100-125 yards, mostly because of the volume of fire.

    I think I remember a version in .22 mag, and I'd think that action (if it could be made light enough - carbon fiber, maybe?) would be the ticket for Blob's WECSOG job here; I'd think that the rate of fire would need to be cut to 300-450 rpm since the goal would be keep their heads down until you could tag 'em with 7.62.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Oh, I remember that! It was the first gun I recall with a laser sight, a big slab slung under the barrel. I don't think it would be good for my WECSOG merely because of the weight of the drum. I'd limit the capacity to 30-rounds and engineer the gun to 3- or 5-round bursts...that bolt would move mighty fast. That's why the Am180 was so scary...its rate of fire was 1200/min using 22LR! (Uzi = 600 rd/min, MP-5 = 800 rd/min) Sure, a MAC-11 squirts at 1600 rd/min, but who uses those, other than video game characters?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_180

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Firehand...must have been those 12 extra rounds in the magazine. Me, I don't want an airweight rifle against my shoulder when I'm pounding out .308s; Lil Thumper gives me a shove when I do rapid-fire, but I've never gotten a shoulder bruise from it. And that's on days when I shoot a lot of Remington pump 12 gauge too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004