Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hey, Ladies!

Blast 'Em Blogger Billy Budd (American Dinosaur, tall guy, center) tipped me off to his BlogShoot tonight with fellow Tucsonans, the Dashing Desert Cat and Darling Daisy Cat. Forty-fives were on the Menu, so I grabbed my single-stacks and braved my social dysfunctionality to meet them at a local indoor range.

Billy and his son were putting his .45 Ruger Vaquero through its paces while Desert Cat was trying out his new Kimber. Daisy Cat was blase' about the beefy ballistic buffet and limited her practice to her Bersa .380.

My primary purpose for this outing was to investigate the problems I'd had with my 10-round McCormick magazines...that and actually meet some real human beings whose blogs I've read. Even after putting 50 rounds of junk drawer .45 through BoG, I was unable to reproduce the stovepiping that plagued me during the Superstition 3-Gun. Only one such malfunction occurred, but never again after I reused that mag several times in both guns. I did, however, get one very scary case rupture that took some brute force to get out of BoG. I'm kinda sure it wasn't the junk drawer stuff...just a bad Wolf round.

Billy and his son gave BoG and Not-BoG a try, just to prove that my scary-accurate hits were in no way due to any marksmanship on my part. Damn, they got some shooters in that family! Billy cautioned his strapping offspring to "slow down," but I think the young man has a future on the field of practical shooting. Speed up! Billy too! Desert Cat declined my offer of boomsticks and bullets...understandable; if I'd just bought a top-of-the-line firearm, I wouldn't chance firing something else that might trigger Buyer's Remorse. But, Dude, if you're just self-conscious about your underdeveloped skills...I'm here for you!

Daisy Cat had many questions about practice and competition opportunities in the area. I could have talked for hours! There's IPSC and IDPA, Tucson Rifle Club and Pima Pistol Club (plus the indoor venues)...what's that? You shoot a 7-round .380? Well...I think she might have a 9-mm in her future. And Desert Cat just bought a tactical shotgun! Can you say future 3-Gunners? Ma'am and Sir, you are living in the center of the Shooting World! Sorry, do I sound excited? Kim DuToit would be dancing naked right now! CB don't dance, unless it's slow....

Now I've got to clean some guns!

For some reason, Blogger insists on posting this picture canted 45 90!! degrees right, even though the pic was taken straight on and never editted beyond a simple cropping.

Oh, yeah...the title. Wednesday night is Ladies Night at the Marksman's Institute. In fact, while we were shaking hands all around, a raven-haired hoplophile roughly my age joined in the ritual...I think she was grooving on me. But I've been wrong about that stuff before. (Now that I think about it, she may have just been grooving on my ultra-cool Coal Creek Armory T-Shirt!)

3 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks again, that lady was hot!

    We shot up 100 rds of .45acp as well.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    BoG = Box o' Gun, the wood-gripped .45 pictured. It started life as a bare frame, blank slide, and a box of custom parts. I've posted several articles about it in my archives early last year. I'll link some of them....

     
  • At 1:28 AM, Blogger Desert Cat said…

    Please do. I was curiouser after. TBH I had a hard time hearing in the range when you were talking about it. After you mentioned it by name (BoG) it rang a bell.

    Now I regret not trying it out when you offered.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004