Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Or Happy Oh-Five Oh-Five Oh-Five! In recognition of this meaningless holiday, I started a big pot of chili. I've never used habeneros before, so this will be an adventure in heat...or perhaps pain. Tomorrow will tell...I figure to have a batch for lunch and dinner Saturday.

Update: Okay, it seems that that slow-cooking my chili recipe kinda takes the teeth out of the ingredients:

Three packages, Louis Rich turkey sausage
One very large yellow onion, diced
Two green peppers (would have been three, but there was a worm in it), diced
Seven fresh jalapeno peppers, diced
Three habanero peppers, diced
Two cans Bush (woohoo!) chili beans (mild sauce)
Chili powder, WAG (wild-assed guess)
Red pepper, WAG
Cumen, WAG
Garlic powder, WAG
Black Pepper, WAG

Cooked on low for at least 6 hours (misplaced the lid to my crockpot so I had to do this on the stovetop).

To you Texans out there who dispise beans in chili...bite me! No beans there!

After-Alimentary Report:
The chili tastes great, provides a slow subtle burn, the origin of which I can't identify. I've tracked down some of the orange bits from the habaneros where there is some minor localized heat. I suspect most of the residual heat comes from the red pepper flakes that don't cook down like the jalapenos. I gotta try this recipe after cooking for only 1 hour, just to see the difference.

Ya know...I don't think I've passed any of this stuff yet. I had a small cup for breakfast, a coupla frozen waffles for lunch (to clear the decks), and a bowl for dinner. My opinion of this recipe can change dramatically by tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You'll have to post your chili recipe - always got my open for something new

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004