Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gunny Stuff



Since the Cowboys have taken over Ben Avery Shooting Complex for Winter Range, for our monthly gunly goodness we resorted to Plan B, the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club 3-Gun match at South Mountain. It also had the added function of having a better rifle range (out to 300 yards!) which was good practice for the upcoming Superstition 3-Gun. There we were introduced to a cool new carny prop, the 3-level plate rack. What made it so diabolical is that the plates are progressively harder to hit; the normal size round plates completely hide the smaller square plate behind it and the triangular plate in the back is a super bitch to hit. I actually cleaned the course faster than Jon, but missed an airborne clay pigeon during the shotgun part.

The adjacent bay hosted the close-range pistol/rifle stage which was in no way a hoser-fest. I actually had more misses on that plate rack than the hard one.

No video of the long-range rifle stage where my POF-USA gas piston had a very spooky "Burp" that made me very reluctant to pull the trigger again. After taking the rifle apart later, I couldn't find anything wrong, but after I clean it thoroughly, I might want to test-fire it remotely just to be sure. The shotgun-only stage was a field full of stationary clays with two steel targets that required slugs to engage.

Speaking of the Superstition 3-Gun, I might not even get to shoot it. I was a tad late getting my application in the mail and the match filled up quickly. They're still working on squeezing me in, but if I end up on a squad other than Jon's (my car-pool ride), I still might have to withdraw.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004