Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy Anniversary, Chief!

That's Tony V. in the center; I'm on the right. We were two of the recruits from the Scranton PA MEPS, starting Day One in September 12, 1979. Tony became AF Law Enforcement and I became who I was.

Allan, the tall Tennessee boy in the next picture was in his early 20s, but to us, he was so old, he was Olde. They made him our flight's Dorm Chief.







The barber was the Great Equalizer. It's 29 years later, and we got our hair back, though most of it's gray.

Damn, I was 130 pounds back then. I graduated at 133.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    September 29, 1973 at AFEES Butte, Montana. It was a Saturday. By Monday morning I was in San Diego and the hair was gone. went about 110 going in. 122 at grad. 140 at Retirement on 30 Sep 1993. Hair now mostly white and going away. 8 grandkids.
    G Cassel
    AMH1(AW) Retired

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Dennis said…

    I have the craziest first day stories ever. August 4th, 1986 I awoke to the phone ringing around 7am. I let it ring and ring because I was getting my last lazy morning in for a number of years. I finally decided to answer the phone around 10am, was my recruiter. Apparently he screwed up the date i was supposed to leave...That morning, not the 5th like he kept telling me. Well, he managed to get me in on the 5th instead of when i was supposed to go, the 4th and it wound up screwing up my pay the entire time I was in the Navy because he left off my DEP time. That was just the beginning of my long strange trip known as my enlistment.... I will spin more yarns if you are really interested.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    You should BLOG good stories like that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004