Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Flour Power

One night this week I was watching a show on Discovery or THC all about bread. That got me thinking about the opened container of white flour I've had for several years(?). I've only used it to make a batch of fried chicken maybe once every 6 months. Figured if there's nothing crawling around in it, it ought to still be good. I didn't have the yeast stuff to make bread, but I bet myself I could make a batch of biscuits... so I did. Ugh. That's what I get for having a neither a recipe nor any skill at baking. The biscuits were edible, but nothing I'd feed to company, so I put them in the fridge. This morning I whipped up some S.O.S. using turkey sausage -- and smothered a couple biscuits with it. Better!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger BobG said…

    Just about anything can be fixed if you have enough gravy to put on it.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dealing with weevils in flour is easy. Put the bag of flour in the freezer for a week. Three days of sub-freezing temps kills weevil eggs.

    Most flour has weevil eggs already in it. Since your bag ain't crawling on you, you lucked out.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I had a big bag of rice once that SEETHED with movement. Zoinks!

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Firehand said…

    Steve's bacon-grease biscuits. 2 cups self-rising flour, 1/4 cup bacon grease, enough milk(I keep dry buttermilk for stuff like this) to make dough. Cut the grease in, add the milk, fold the dough 6-8 times, roll out 1/2" thick, cut biscuits and bake at 400 till golden. Damn, they're good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004