Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Back at Square One


No, the problem wasn't with my DPMS lower...I traded lowers with my Bushmaster (identical to Jon's) and got the same malfunctions (failures to feed and jams) with the POF-USA upper -- and got BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM!! from the home-built lower on the Bushy upper. Strangely, one magazine (a Thermold) worked perfectly, but its identical brother failed to feed every time. Arrggghhhh!! Before I send it back, I'd like to try Jon's POF lower with it. I'll probably test my Colt lower with it tomorrow.

And another thing...clickiness aside, the 1100 is still hosed!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Nate said…

    Help me understand, especially since I was considering building a scary black rifle kit gun myself- I thought that building up a functioning upper and lower and using non-tinkered magazines was a straight-up installation with reliable results.

    Not so? What causes the function failures and how does a guy build a reliable shooter without spending his kid's inheritance or making himself even crazier?

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I wish I knew the answer to that.

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I put together my first AR from used parts, with no two major components from the same manufacturer, and I got it working fine. I'm not claiming to be any kind of gunsmithing guru or that I'm more talented than Blob, but It Can Be Done. I dunno if I used up my luck quotient on that or what.

    Also consider that the piston operated uppers are still kind of a new design, and there might still be bugs in the design or build process.

    Were I to do it over again, I would go down to my local FFL, and have him order up a complete Stag Arms lower half, then I'd order up a complete Stag upper from the Innernet. Stag is the 'house brand' of Lewis Machine Tool, who makes the S&W ARs. Pushing the pins together will save you about $400 in name brand fees and federal excise tax.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    The kicker is that the component I assembled from itty bitty parts works fine, but the upper (which cost more than my entire Bushmaster) seems to be hosed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004