Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Count the Dummies

I took the Stang out this morning to run some errands. I usually plan my trips to minimize U-turns and other inconvenient/awkward traffic situations, but this time they were unavoidable. After a disappointing trip to WalMart (no .30 Carbine in stock), I made my second Yewy across the three-lane artery called Speedway, of all things. There was a wave of traffic coming, but I knew I could make the turn in plenty of time.

Having bought my first car at the "mature" age of 23, I never had the experience of "doing doughnuts" on purpose; aside from a little skid practice on empty, icy roads, I've done well to maintain control of my vehicle at all times. Well, let's just say today I made a U-turn with considerably more accelerator that I needed and almost ended up facing oncoming traffic. I regained control with a minor fishtail and undoubtedly pissed off everybody who witnessed the maneuver. Fortunately, no police units were on hand. I continued my errands feeling like I'd been beaten up, because I'd pulled every oblique muscle in my upper body living through the slowed reality of skid recovery. The skid practice served me well enough.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004